Various components are vital to the operation of a research lab. Besides the laboratory information management system (LIMS) that manages staff and sample data, among other things, the lab scheduling software is an indispensable part of any lab.Lab scheduling software helps to plan and run automated lab processes to ensure workflows can run uninterrupted with little to no human involvement.
Read on to learn why this robotic process automation software is essential to streamlining your lab’s robotic instruments’ operation.
What Does a Lab Scheduling Software Do?
In a life science lab with multiple workflows and instruments like a colony picking robot running simultaneously around the clock, a lab scheduling software keeps everything running in the most efficient manner.
Below are some of what this software can do for your lab.
- Create custom workflows and protocols. You can customize every parameter in a workflow, including shaking and incubation durations, the volume of reagents used, and other details.
- Monitor all workflows in the lab and control them in real-time. Through this software, you can view all the processes that you have and start or stop them. This allows you to run only the workflows that you need.
- Analyze the usage of your instruments and workflows to optimize their usage. The software uses robotic process automation to determine the most efficient way to run your processes and run the available instruments to increase productivity.
- Develop user-defined functions and add instruments as needed into your lab protocols.
- Link to your in-house LIMS system and read/write to any database system you use, be it Access, Oracle, or SQLServer.
Characteristics of Good Lab Scheduling Software
Good lab scheduling software provides robust multitasking and automation capabilities along with ease of use into a single package. Below is what you should look out for in the right software for your lab.
Adaptable Lab Scheduling Software
The software should adapt to your requirements and mobilize the robotic instrumentation that you need. You should be able to customize your interface, control multiple processes, and easily integrate the software with your LIMS and other internal software.
Intuitive Lab Scheduling Software
The user interface should be easy-to-use. Our SoftLinx automation software includes a drag and drop interface to easily build the protocols you need and customize individual steps and conditions.
Robust Lab Scheduling Software
The software should have sufficient security features such as encrypted password entry and a password management system, a data audit trail, and fully recover from interruptions or unscheduled shutdowns.
Predictive Lab Scheduling Software
Robotic process automation software with predictive functions can analyze your workflows, display how your instruments are used, and assist in optimizing them. This function ensures that downtime is kept to a minimum to improve efficiency in your lab.
With the right lab scheduling software, you can fully control the robotics and workflows in your lab and ensure they run maximum efficiency. As software solutions are getting more cost-effective and scalable to meet your needs, finding the right software for your lab has never been easier.
To learn more about lab scheduling software, robotic process automation software reviews, and other products, please contact Hudson Robotics today.