Initial Problems Developing Automated Liquid Handling Robots
The “q” in qPCR stands for quantitative. Over the past 20 years, the tremendous advances made by the development of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) have been augmented by the ability to quantify nucleic acid replication with qPCR analysis software in real-time. With qPCR analysis software, everything from basic pathogen detection and identification to the diagnosis of rare biomedical diseases can be accomplished in a fraction of the time and cost as compared with traditional methods.
The genius of qPCR is that while DNA is being amplified through the PCR technique, the amount of DNA can be quantitatively measured at each replication cycle. Once the desired result is reached, the instrument can stop and be used for the next sample, rather than going through a fixed, preset number of cycles – minimizing processing time. In addition, using qPCR analysis software gives scientists a level of precision never before seen. Today, qPCR is the gold standard for analyzing gene expression, and using qPCR analysis software gives the “platinum standard.”
Further Advances with qPCR Analysis Software
By using qPCR analysis software, the process of real-time data collection and analysis occurs at considerably faster speeds. For example, high-throughput screening software allows for the evaluation of thousands of genes or novel pharmaceuticals by permitting the testing of very large numbers of agents in a short time.
In the pharmaceutical industry, specifically, modern drug development requires high-throughput screening software as it allows for very quick testing of different compounds to look for a specific biological target. Additionally, using qPCR analysis software helps lower costs allowing for many more compounds to be tested, with new drugs becoming available faster than ever.
Fast PCR Software
Fast PCR Software is an integrated tool which is another way of saying there is more that it can do than the average scientist will likely use. Fast PCR software is similar to qPCR analysis software in many of the laboratory activities they can perform. Nevertheless, Fast PCR software is specifically capable of:
- Predicting oligonucleotide properties based on PCR efficiency.
- Designing primers for almost all PCR applications, including:
- Standard PCR;
- Real-time (qPCR);
- Overlap Extension PCR; and
- Loop-mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP).
- Design sets of oligonucleotides for enzyme assembly
- Calculates melting temperatures for various oligonucleotide sequences
- Analyzes primers and predicts the oligonucleotide properties.
- Calculates primer dilution and resuspension.
- Quantifies GC and AT skew plus CG% and GA% content.
- Performs restriction endonuclease analyses.
- Locates and creates restriction enzyme sites for gene coding sequences.
- Complete detection of repeat sequences; and
- Even more.
So as a type of PCR software, Fast PCR software is truly one-of-a-kind in terms of its abilities. And these abilities allow for dramatic savings in time, personnel, and expense for any life science or pharmaceutical laboratory.
ABI qPCR Analysis Software
Applied Biosystems© is the company that first developed and patented this software. This software is a type of qPCR analysis software that uses various components combined with the strength of cloud computing to provide the user with an extremely versatile set of tools to analyze qPCR data.
This package takes the qPCR software to the next level by permitting the combination of experiments examining hundreds of genotypes and analyzing the gene expression or performing qPCR analysis in a matter of minutes.
Once again, the ability to do so much work in such a brief amount of time with qPCR analysis software reduced costs dramatically. Not only are there significant savings in chemical and stock supplies, but everything from electricity to water is conserved. Additionally, fewer personnel are needed, and personnel can be reassigned to more important tasks that only humans can perform.
Lab Scheduling Software
Along with the amazing utility of qPCR analysis software, other software used to schedule everything from experiments to equipment maintenance may seem unnecessary for scientists used to the old paper-and-pencil calendar. Still, the reality is that laboratories that have adopted scheduling software have seen a dramatic improvement in six different areas:
- Planning, Scheduling, and Adjusting. Experiments become simpler to arrange, and with no accidental booking of lab equipment for two different experiments simultaneously, efficiency rises, allowing for more work to be done in a shorter time.
- Forecasting Lab Workload. Knowing what tasks and experiments are coming up, ordering supplies becomes simple, and equipment maintenance is never scheduled for a “bad time.”
- Laboratory Management. Transferring, combining, and analyzing data in one software package is a real benefit, especially with collaboration among different laboratories.
- Track Lab Performance. By keeping a detailed and precise record of everything from personnel utilization to instrument usage, areas of waste or unnecessary downtime can be easily identified and eliminated.
- Process Improvement. By looking at the use of resources and past time schedules, goals can be set to minimize waste of everything from personnel downtime to equipment downtime and even reagent purchases.
- Efficient Communication. Without the need for phone calls, e-mails, or other electronic messages, everyone from outside clients to laboratory personnel will always know what is happening and when the results will be ready.
Investing in comprehensive lab scheduling software often results in some of the biggest changes to the day-to-day functioning of laboratories.
Benefits of qPCR Analysis Software
Some of the benefits of using qPCR analysis software may seem obvious, it is not until one speaks to scientists who are using the software that the full expanse of benefits emerges. “The main advantages of qPCR are that it provides fast and high-throughput detection and quantification of target DNA sequences in different matrices.” The benefits of automation and using programs like qPCR analysis software go much further. Some of the advantages include:
- Freeing time for lab technicians to spend more time cleaning and maintaining equipment, thereby lowering downtime for lab machinery.
- Having associates with more time to discuss and develop hypotheses and experiments.
- More time to write and publish findings assisting career advancement.
- More accurate and reproducible results in a shorter amount of time.
- Improved laboratory safety with less human involvement with chemical reagents and reactions.
- Fewer reagents are wasted, thus saving money and reducing the frequency of orders.
Hudson Robotics has been a leader in creating user-friendly software that does not require any special expertise or an “IT guy” to operate. They have integrated laboratory automation, qPCR analysis software, laboratory robotics, and so much more into products that will save time, money and dramatically increase any lab’s output. For almost 40 years, they have stayed ahead of their competitors by working closely with each client to ensure that all needs are met.
Contact Hudson Robotics today to request a consultation about qPCR analysis software or any of the other ways Hudson Robotics can make your life and your pharmaceutical or life science lab more effortless.