Hudson SOLO™ - Flexible & Affordable Automated Pipettor
The Hudson SOLO™ is a low cost, flexible and easy-to-use automated pipettor. Available in single, 8 and 12 channel options the SOLO can be programmed to do anything expected of a hand-held pipettor, with greatly improved precision (see the Specifications tab).
Simply set up the pipetting steps in intuitive SOLOSoft control software and go. Equipped with a broad dynamic volume range and the ability to handle reactions in a sterile environment, the SOLO can be loaded and operated manually, and is also compatible with robot loading systems from most manufactures, including the Hudson PlateCrane EX.
The SOLO was developed to meet the growing need throughout the research, pharmaceutical and clinical communities for a high resolution compact robotic pipettor. The SOLO provides researchers with walkaway freedom, a small footprint, and easy to use SOLOSoft software which is closely linked to our SoftLinx™ software for data tracking and scheduling, plus improved efficiency and decreased cost of continuous unattended operation.
The SOLO – multi-tip is available with either an 8-tip pipette head or 12-tip pipette head. The SOLO is standard with a 6 position deck. No worries if you need to transfer samples quickly from plate to plate and then other times do a serial dilution across the plate. The SOLO easily adapts without any tools to both heads. Use the 12-tip head to finish plate to plate transfers 50% faster than the 8-tip head, remove the head and add the 8 position head for easy serial dilutions.
|Serial Dilution with the SOLO|
Users who wish to cherry-pick from individual wells can use either the single-tip SOLO (as shown in the video clip below) or the multi-tip configuration. The SOLO multi-tip (both 8-channel and 12-channel) can work with just 1 tip, several tips, or all the tips without any issues. There is no need to switch to a single tip pipette head.
|Cherry-Picking with the SOLO|
The SOLO mutli-tip offers a broad pipetting range. The mechanical drive and software controls of the pipette head allow the SOLO to push the boundaries of pipetting performance. With CVs of less than 3% across the entire pipetting range users can save valuable time and expense by using a single pipette head for both multi-tip and single-tip operations.
The SOLO automated pipettors provide many benefits to the lab:
- Single-, 8- & 12-channel pipetting heads are available.
- The 8- & 12-channel SOLO instruments can use only 1 tip without compromising performance saving valuable time and expense.
- The SOLO offers many pipetting option to give the SOLO user the ability to dispense accurate volumes (from 500nL to 10ml) with CVs better than 3%.
- A 6 position deck is standard, offering 50% more capacity.
- The SOLO offers email functionality in the software that alerts the user when a run is completed or that an error has occurred.
- The SOLO can easily be integrated with additional instruments and software at anytime.
- The SOLO is easily customized for unique or specialized applications.
|PlateCrane EX Robot Arm
|LabLinx Plate Stacker
|Micro10x Reagent Dispenser
|VaryVac Vacuum Filtration Nest
The SOLO was developed to meet the growing need throughout the research, pharmaceutical and clinical communities for a high resolution compact robotic pipettor. It can be adapted to any research activity which requires the accurate addition, removal and mixing of liquid samples and reagents – including those containing live cells. The SOLO can be integrated with other automated instruments for seamless process control and flexibility and has many uses in applications involving:
Utilizing the simplicity of Hudson’s SOLO, and SoftLinx Software, users perform accurate normalization of any plate of DNA samples. Using the SOLO to perform all the solvent addition, mixing and sample transfer operations, the user selects a DNA quantification file, and starts the syste
Hudson has been a key player in the colony picking arena for many years. We offer several versions of our RapidPick platform, including the recently introduced single-pin picker. Easy-to-use, but sophisticated software interacts with the picker and the incorporated camera to identify and select
Colony plating is a key process in various applications that require the replication and distribution of viable cell cultures. It can also be used to determine if a transformation procedure was successful in introducing an observable property upon a culture, such as the common process of introduc
The distribution of a species between two different solvents, or on either side of a selective membrane is one of the most important properties that determine the bioavailablity and cell/tissue penetration of a potential drug molecule. See how Hudson can help you measure this key profiling p
Protein Expression & Purification
Hudson offers a wide range of instrumentation to support the entire range of protocols commonly encountered when preparing peptides and proteins. From liquid handlers to support PCR through vast, multi-component systems to support an entire research effort.
Handling Non-Standard Sample Plates
Hudson's PlateCrane and LabLinx are industry standard instruments for moving SBS-standard microplate around multi-component workcells. However, another best-kept secret about Hudson is our array of accessories that allow users to manipulate all kinds of non-standard "plates"; including micro
The SOLO easily fits on lab benchtops and into standard fume hoods and biosafety cabinets. It can automate large and small volume experiments, is adaptable to common well plate formats and can improve the quality and reliability of research. The SOLO can work as an unattended stand alone instrument which can save time and decrease cost and users can learn to use Hudson’s Softlinx software in just minutes. The product also can preserve sterility and avoid cross-contamination while dispensing into slides and microplates. The SOLO high-throughput single-channel pipettor has features researchers will find very desirable in a benchtop instrument including:
- Compact 14″ x 16″ (355mm x 400mm) footprint for basic system
- 8-, 24-, 96-, 384- and 1536-well microplate compatible
- Compatible with a wide variety of non-standard vials, test tubes and reagent reservoirs
- Broad volume range: 500nl to 300ul for the multi-tip heads, 500nL to 10mL for the single-tip heads.
- Easily fits in a standard hood
- Fully compatible with robot loading systems or can be used manually as a stand alone unit
- Plate stacker upgrade available anytime for unparalleled flexibility and high throughput
- Easy to use SOLOSoft control software for simple programming of pipetting steps
- Includes Hudson Robotics’ SoftLinx software, which provides an easy-to-use interface to coordinate the SOLO’s operation with other automated instruments
Dispensing : Single channel – 1ul to 10 ml; optional pump assembly for bulk dispensing
8 & 12 channel : 1-10 ul pipette head; 5 – 200ul pipette head
Plate Capacity : 4 to 6 positions; 2 additional positions off deck
Plate Format : SBS standard footprint, any well configuration; enquire about custom nests
Tubes, Flasks and Vials: Any format
Housing material : Stainless main deck; painted steel upper arm covers over machined aluminum structural components
Spill Protection : All electronics protected by solid, non-penetrated cover to prevent any leakage onto electrical devices
Arm Mechanism: Horizontal Travel/Vertical Stroke: x=22.5″; y=9.3″; z=4.0″
Size : 24.0″ x 29.5″ x 19.5″ (H x W x D)
Weight : 50lbs
Power Requirements: 120-240 VAC, 50-60Hz, 2Amps Max at 120
Computer Interface : RS-232 serial cable
Precision: The high-resolution motor that drives the SOLO’s pipette greatly increases it’s precision. Results vary depending on the nature of the liquid and the exact method of aspiration and dispense, but in general, a pipette rated at 20-200uL will dispense as low as 2uL with an average CV below 2%. Larger volumes are dispensed with CVs under 0.5%.
Equipping the SOLO with a lower volume pipette allows one to dispense liquids in the nanomolar range with similar precision. Click here to view a recent white paper that discusses pipetting techniques and their effect on precision.
Speed: Below are some timing results based on filling each well of a 96 well plate with 5uL of liquid, one well at a time.
Average Time/ Plate (min:sec)
Aspirate from a reservoir (Same point each time)
Copy plate – well by well with no tip changes
Copy plate – well by well with 96 tip changes
- Maximizing the Precision and Accuracy of a Multi-Channel Pipettor to Optimize Inhibition Data from a Kinase Assay
- Techniques for Optimizing the Precision of the Hudson SOLO – Poster Presentation from SLAS2013
- Hudson Control Group Introduces the Hudson SOLO High-Resolution Liquid Dispenser
- SOLO Brochure
- Using the SOLO for PCR Automation
- PCR Prep and the SOLO
- Getting the Most Out of Your Hudson SOLO